HOW DOES SPERM MOTILITY AFFECT FERTILITY?April 19, 2018
I THOUGHT THAT YOU WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THIS STORY I FOUND ON MSNApril 29, 2018
Fibroids are benign smooth muscle tumors of the uterus. Most women have no symptoms while others have painful or heavy periods. The exact cause of uterine fibroids is unclear.
This includes; obesity, family history, increased hormone level and eating red meat. About 20% to 80% of women develop fibroids by the age of 50. They are typically found during the middle and later reproductive years. After menopause they usually decrease in size.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
Some women with uterine fibroids do not have symptoms
- Abdominal pain
- Heavy bleeding during periods
- Frequent urination
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Miscarriage (depending on the position of fibroid)
- Premature labor
- Malposition of the fetus in uterus
- Infertility (if located in the submucosal area of the uterus )
- Subserosal- seen on the surface of the uterus
- Intramural- seen within the muscular walls of the uterus and are the most common types.
- Submucosal- are located beneath the endometrium.
- Cervical- are located in the wall of the cervix.
- Pelvic examination
- Ultrasound (Transvaginal and abdominal) MRI, HSG.
- Medication; Drugs can be used to shrink the uterine fibroid.
- Uterine Artery Embolization can be used to reduce blood flow to the fibroid and as a result shrinks it.
- Myomectomy; Laparoscopic or Abdominal Myomectomy to completely remove one or more fibroids.
We offer the above treatments of fibroid at St Jude Women’s Clinic, Abuja.